Decision making can be tricky. We all make good and bad decisions, but their are tricks to making better decisions.
- Get into a positive state - There are many ways to achieve this - listen to music, dance, get out in the sunshine, take a nap. Do what works for you. We tend to make better decisions when our mood is good.
- Grab a snack - Your brain uses a huge amount of glucose when making difficult decisions. A healthy snack will give it a fresh supply of fuel.
- Become distracted - A few moments of entertainment or pleasurable distraction will clear the decision from your conscious mind and allow your subconscious mind to work on it. Your subconscious mind has the power to solve difficult problems if you let it. With billions and billions of neurons, memories, and observations it is rich with information.
- Sleep on it - This allows your brain to refuel, to rest, and gives your subconscious free reign. Many great inventions, songs, and stories have come to the creators in a dream.
- Pay attention to how you feel about your choices - Think back on your best decisions and put yourself there mentally. How did your body feel? Now think of a bad decision and do the same. Reflect on your current decision, think of each possibility, and pay attention to how your body feels. Which decision feels best?
Zen Presence - Ideas for Meaningful Living
Critical Thinking, Blog